Sunday, May 24, 2009

Day 7

This is the end of week 1 and calls for 1 hour of cross training. I'd like to mix some swimming in here during the 18 weeks, but today I decided to focus on my core and upper body. For core workouts, my wife suggested that I try her Yoga/Pilates video. I've had a few suggestions on doing Yoga to workout your core, so I figured why not. I could certainly feel it working my abs, but next time I need to make sure I wake up before my kids, so that I don't have 4 kids all pointing out to me that "this is for Mommies". The workout lasted a half hour and other than the time that the elastic band slipped off of my foot and snapped me across the back of my legs, it felt good. To regain my kids masculine view of their father, I spent the last 30 minutes doing bench presses and curls. :)

End of week 1 stats - 15.5 miles in 2:50:17 for a 10:59/mile pace and most importantly, my body feels great and I've had no injuries. I think the easing into the mileage that Hal Higdon put into the training program is a great idea and I am looking forward to going into the marathon injury free.

Also, my wonderful wife is letting me get my fathers day present early this year. She is giving me a Garmin Forerunner 305 that we found a smoking deal on. I'm excited for it to get here so I can use the GPS monitoring to keep track of elevation as well as speed and distance, plus the heart monitor will be a great way for me to know exactly how far to push myself and watch my progress.

0 comments:

Post a Comment